Friday, April 27, 2012

green green go away...

The day has finally come when we no longer see any green board on the exterior of the house!  I cannot tell you how awesome today is!  The complete exterior of the house is either completed or in the process of being completed - the final element is the stucco. 

And, as luck would have it, the stucco guys started today - but what a monster job that looks like.  I had only seen finished stucco projects, so I didn't realize the steps required to get to the finished product.  So, here is the process as I know it.  First step is to attach some chicken wire looking mesh to the house.  Check.


Next step is to hand trowel multiple cement/stucco layers over the wire mesh.  First layer...Check.


And then the first layer has to dry...  Check.


When that layer is dry, I guess they will then do another layer.  And, of course, that will have to dry!  Then they will maybe trowel the final coat of stucco which is the actual colors we chose - gray and white.  And once that is complete, the only remaining exterior tasks will be to finish painting the trim and hardiboard siding.

My extremely knowledgeable and technical explanation of the stucco process is overwhelming, I know... 

Please do not ask me any specific questions because I am not going to google to learn exactly how stucco is applied.  However, if you do google, I probably won't be interested in learning...all I do know is that it looks like complex and complicated work!

And, I haven't actually seen them in action.  I saw the chicken wire looking stuff and then I saw the troweled on cement looking stuff...

Besides the final painting, all other exterior elements have been completed.  The brick is quite spectacular with many creative laying techniques...  I hope that last sentence is something that a person who knows anything about bricks would be proud to hear about his work, because it was meant to be a compliment.


And the wood panels look equally beautiful...


And the back courtyard area trimmed out nicely...


So, at 60% completion we can no longer see any of the green board...oh what a happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment